Today is the day for Iowans across the state to get moving! A couple very important events are taking place; Live Healthy Iowa Kids Fall Fitness Day and the Healthiest State Walk.
Live Healthy Iowa Kids invites schools and youth organizations to participate in this free, one-day event. Fall Fitness Day involves 30 minutes of continuous physical activity to promote healthy lifestyles among youth in Iowa and provides an opportunity to teach kids that physical activity is fun and healthy. Fall Fitness Day is planned for Oct. 3; however the event can occur anytime between Oct. 1 and Oct. 9. Organizations must report participation to Live Healthy Iowa Kids following their planned activity. Live Healthy Iowa Kids will award organizations for their dedication and commitment through a random drawing for monetary prizes among those reporting 100% participation. Register your school at www.livehealthyiowakids.org.
The Healthiest State Walk encourages all Iowans to take a few minutes out of their day to walk one kilometer (0.62 miles). Invite friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to walk with you and register your walk at www.iowahealthieststate.com. Once you have completed your walk, record your participation on the Healthiest State Initiative website. The Healthiest State Walk is part of Iowa’s effort to become the healthiest state in the nation!
Here are a few ideas to include these events into your day!
- Schools can combine P.E. classes throughout the day so all students can participate in 30 minutes of physical activity.
- Schools can extend recess to 30 minutes and plan an activity for all students to participate in.
- Leave for work a few minutes early to meet your co-workers for a morning walk, or stay a few minutes late for an evening walk.
- If you’re at work, bring a pair of walking shoes and keep them under your desk to slip on for lunch break walk.
- Map a one kilometer route from a central location in your neighborhood and invite your friends to meet you.
- Find a walk at www.iowahealthieststate.com.
Whatever you’re doing today, be sure to take part in Iowa’s movement to become the healthiest state in the nation. Continue to incorporate positive health behaviors into your lifestyle and encourage others to also.