Who says only humans can reap all of the benefits of an active lifestyle?? Live Healthy Iowa has added a NEW challenge to the 2013 line up that includes man’s best friend – for your health and theirs! LHI’s Strut Your Pup Challenge encourages you to lace up your sneakers and grab the leash! What is more motivating than a tail wagging team member waiting at the door to get you moving?
Most dogs need to be walked at least once per day and more active dogs may require, and appreciate, two or more. Aim for 30 minutes at least 5 times per week. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that adults should have at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic physical activity (ahem, brisk walking) each week. Coincidentally, 30 minutes 5 times per week equals 2 hours and 30 minutes – sounds like walking your dog is a perfect match!
Studies have shown that people who regularly walk dogs may benefit from lower blood pressure, have a trimmer waistline and are less likely to suffer from chronic diseases. Walking your dog may also make your neighbors view you as friendly and more approachable – leading to more socialization for you and your dog!
So what are you waiting for?! LHI’s Strut Your Pup Challenge begins Monday, April 22! Register now!
How does it work?
Team-up with a canine companion, get moving and track your activity minutes through the Live Healthy Iowa website.
Compete with others across the state as you improve your health and that of a furry friend.
For $8, you receive:
- A collapsible pet water bowl
- Weekly email tips with ideas to stay active and healthy
- Access to a personal tracking page on the LHI website
- Unlimited access to online recipes, workouts and health information
- Opportunity to win prizes, such as Subway gift cards
- $5 registration discount for the SCAVMA Scamper 5K/10K, April 21 in Ames (online registration ends April 18th at 11:59pm)
How do I get started?
- Visit www.livehealthyiowa.org and click JOIN TODAY!
2. Click the SUBMIT button under Start A Team
3. Complete registration