Whoever said fitness wasn’t fun has obviously not been around a Live Healthy Iowa Kids Fall Fitness Day event! Schools across the state get engaged in an additional 30 minutes of activity for this free, one-day event each year. This year, Fall Fitness Day is on October 9, the same day as International Walk to School Day and the Healthiest State Start Somewhere Walk.
Fall Fitness Day is a FREE, one-day event that encourages schools and youth organizations to get their youth involved in an ADDITIONAL 30 minutes of activity on October 9, or anytime between October 7 and 15. All schools who get 100% of their youth population involved in an additional 30 minutes will be entered into a drawing to win one of five prizes (1-$1,000, 4-$250). The prizes are used for new PE equipment, playground equipment or nutrition education resources.
What is new for 2013?
Live Healthy Iowa Kids has two new and exciting opportunities for school’s this year!
- If your school is registered for Fall Fitness Day by September 9 they will be entered in for a chance to have Live Healthy Iowa Kids host Fall Fitness Day at your school!
- If your school registers for both Fall Fitness Day and the Healthiest State Walk they will be entered in for a chance to win a visit from Hy-Vee’s Healthier You Wellness Tour Bus!
Why should our school or my child’s school participate?
Currently, in Iowa one out of every three elementary students is overweight or obese.* For every three children born in the year 2000, one of them will develop Type II diabetes at some point in their lifetime.** Fall Fitness Day provides a great opportunity to showcase that the health of the youth you serve each day is important to your school or organization! It is also an excellent opportunity to discuss with your youth why making healthy choices is important and to show them that physical activity can be a lot of fun!
How do I get my school started?
- Designate a coordinator for your school or organization
- Register online at www.livehealthyiowakids.org
- Plan a 30 minute physical activity event for your school on October 9, or anytime between October 7-15
- Track the number of youth who participated in your event
- Report your participation by Tuesday, October 15th at www.livehealthyiowakids.org***
Contact Lisa Weber
*According to the Iowa Department of Public Health Body Mass Index Assessment Project Comprehensive Report; Spring 2010
**According to the CDC National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2007
***Only schools who achieve 100% participation will be eligible for the cash prizes.