We have a lot of luxuries and conveniences in our life and many of them don’t require us to stand up, walk or lift a finger. Over time, these conveniences have really caught up with our waistline and have played a part in obesity becoming a major health concern in our country. Fortunately, by going back to the basics and making a few small changes in your daily routine, you can rack up extra steps on your pedometer and burn some extra calories with little effort.
There are many common suggestions for living a more active lifestyle, such as always taking the stairs, parking farther away at the store or walking to a co-worker’s office rather than sending an email. These are all great habits to adopt and will definitely allow you to move more throughout the day. I would also like to share a few more creative changes you can make in your lifestyle to get moving with little effort.
- Always use the restroom that is furthest away. At home, go upstairs or downstairs to use the restroom. At work, use a restroom on the other side of the office or on another floor.
- If your mailbox is down the street from your home, drive to your house then walk back to the mailbox rather than stopping on your way.
- Have to wait? Ask about how long and take a quick walk rather than waiting in the waiting room at the dentist, doctor’s office or at a restaurant. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes.
- Set an alarm on your phone, watch or computer while at work to remind you to get up and move every hour, on the hour. Short breaks throughout the day to get your blood flowing will allow you to have more energy, focus better and be more productive throughout the day.
- Use public transportation if available or carpool with those that work nearby. Public transportation will likely drop you off a few blocks from your workplace allowing you to get some steps in. If you carpool, park halfway between your workplaces and walk the rest of the way.
You don’t have to adopt all of these habits, but try them out and see which works for you. The important thing is to find what is simple, enjoyable and maintainable for you and your lifestyle. You can find many more tips to move more, naturally, on the internet and in your weekly challenge email.
Keep up the good work!